Apricot Phase Two: Berlin EIPs & Enhanced Avalanche Native Token (ANT) Support
Phase Two upgrade will activate on the Avalanche Mainnet at 7 a.m. EDT (11 a.m. UTC) on Monday, May 10.
Today, we’re releasing the code for Phase Two of the Apricot upgrade, which will activate at 10 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. UTC) on Wednesday, May 5th on the Fuji Testnet and at 7 a.m. EDT (11 a.m. UTC) on Monday, May 10th on the Avalanche Mainnet. This upgrade includes breaking changes, and we recommend that all validators upgrade their nodes before then.
Apricot Phase Two contains new C-Chain precompiles (you can find a good explanation of what a “precompile” is in Appendix E of the Ethereum Yellow Paper) that makes Avalanche Native Tokens (ANTs) more powerful. After this upgrade, you’ll be able to import custom tokens from the X-Chain and wrap them as ARC-20s on the C-Chain for use in the 50+ live dApps deployed there.
Additionally, Apricot Phase Two activates the Berlin EIPs (which activated on Ethereum in mid-April). These include:
- EIP-2565 (ModExp Gas Cost): Defines the gas cost of the ModExp (0x00..05) precompile.
- EIP-2929 (Gas cost increases for state access opcodes): Increases gas cost for SLOAD, *CALL, BALANCE, EXT* and SELFDESTRUCT when used for the first time in a transaction.
- EIP-2718 (Typed Transaction Envelope): Defines a new transaction type that is an envelope for future transaction types.
- EIP-2930 (Optional access lists): Adds a transaction type which contains an access list, a list of addresses and storage keys that the transaction plans to access. Accesses outside the list are possible, but become more expensive.
The Ethereum Cat Herders provided a great overview of each EIP and why it is important in this blog post.
For a full list of all the items we are targeting in the upcoming Apricot upgrades, check out the Apricot Phase 1 post.
Node Operators can review the below resources to prepare for the upgrade:
- Apricot Phase Two Upgrade code and full details can be found here.
- A tutorial for upgrading your node is available here.
- If you have any questions, please connect with the Ava Labs developer team here.
Apricot Phase Two: Berlin EIPs & Enhanced Avalanche Native Token (ANT) Support was originally published in Avalanche on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.